Friday, February 21, 2014

I’M WEARING: A BASEBALL JACKET

Occasionally, I give in and try a trend I never really warmed up to. I am a firm believer in second chances (but not necessarily thirds), and know from experience that 50% of clothes look entirely different than they do on the hanger once they’re on your body. In some cases, you may have seen the garment on a body, but on yours, it’s a completely new look!
Either way, the bottom line is this: trying one a piece of clothing is never a commitment, or even a declaration of approval. What’s the harm in trying? We’re all just playing dress up anyway, right?
I’ve been eying varsity & baseball style jackets for several months, not necessarily because I was attracted to them, but because I could tell that they were versatile enough to really become popular among a lot of different fashion genres. In fact, over the last several decades – it has.
Naturally, you associate letterman-style jackets with your high school football team and the people who used to beat up your friends at lunch. Prep life, jock-hood, and clean teens is immediately associated with the iconic varsity style.
There’s also a definite link between these jackets and hip hop artists/rappers spanning all the way from the 1980s to…well, last week on Wiz Khalifa, probably. Varsity style jackets are still totally relevant to hip hop culture, and you can see today it on tons of popular performers – though they’re mostly male.
I wanted a version of this jacket that would fit all of my wardrobe needs: versatile, comfortable,machine washable, affordable and interesting. It might sound like a lot to ask, but it’s worth it when you find the perfect specimen.
I'm Wearing: Varsity Jacket
This jacket, by American Giant, isn’t actually a jacket at all… It’s a sweatshirt. 
Instantly, the Heavyweight Snap-Front Sweatshirt (aka baseball jacket) has fulfilled my “comfortable” requirement. It’s 100% cotton, machine-washable, and – this part is extra serious - is probably the best-made sweatshirt I’ve ever touched in my life.
Sitting-2-orig-web
Every person who touches this “jacket” is immediately blown away with the heft and quality of the construction. You won’t believe it until you feel it, but this sweatshirt will probably last you for at least 10 years. I expect this one to, for sure.
Standing-1-web
This baseball jacket comes in three colors, and American Giant sent over the coral red for me to check out. I love great basics, as you know, and having a staple in a really exciting color is something that I suggest everyone do at least once. It makes the most boring and half-assed outfits seem intentionally understated, and who doesn’t love a little bit of illusion when they need it most?
Lindsay's Wearing: Varsity Jacket

Would you wear a baseball jacket?

What do you associate this style of jacket with the most?
American Giant will be debuting a very exciting version of the varsity jacket next week - I am definitely keeping my eyes peeled for that one! Multiple color combinations, stripes, and new colors… Yum!

via:http://brokeandbeautiful.com/2014/lindsays-wearing-a-varsity-jacket/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BrokeAndBeautiful+%28Broke+And+Beautiful%29

No comments:

Post a Comment