Tuesday, April 15, 2014

BURRATA WITH SPICY BASIL GREMOLATA

I wish I could remember the first time I had burrata. It's been a favorite of mine for years, but I can no longer pinpoint the first time I cut my fork into the creamy ball of luxury.

Burrata, if you've never tried it, is simply fresh mozzarella cheese that has been stuffed with a mix of thick cream and shredded mozzarella (itself called stracciatella, which means "shreds"). Best eaten fresh, ideally within 24 hours, if not sooner, it's absolute heaven for those of you who love mozzarella.


I've had burrata in just about all the ways you can have it--in a salad, relaxed onto a pile of lightly dressed greens and cherry tomatoes. Divided into small pieces on top of a hot, slightly-charred pizza, fresh out of the brick oven. And--most often--on its own, warmed a bit to room temperature and drizzled lightly with olive oil.

If it's on the menu, I order it. And if I see it in the dairy case, it makes its way into my basket.


And unless I'm explicitly serving it as an appetizer for the table, don't you dare eye my burrata. I hate sharing, and will possessively hold my bowl close to me as I savor each bite. There have been several occasions where I've served Eugene one thing for dinner, and then come out with my own personal little bowl filled with nothing but my ball of quivering cheese.

"What?! Why do you get to have that?" He'll ask, suddenly dissatisfied with his pasta or chicken or whatever it is I served him.

Because the beauty of being the one who shops and cooks, is that you get to have whatever you want. 
via:http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2014/04/burrata-with-spicy-basil-gremolata.html

No comments:

Post a Comment